Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Racquet ball for the uncoordinated.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So. I've started going to the gym. Every night, even. As soon as my loving husband Christopher gets home (I'm kissing ass because he downloaded a cd I wanted and I know hes going to come home and read this), I trade in my spit up covered mom clothes for cute workout attire, grab my ipod and water bottle, and drive down the street to the base gym. You didn't think I was going to say walk did you? Pffft. I've always been way too intimidated to go to the gym here, with 90% of everyone there being Military and obviously in shape. Its not like I blend in. Overweight tattooed chick with huge thick rimmed black glasses and an enormous rack... hi, here I am! Well finally I found a workout buddy, and the guts to get a move on it. The first time we went was the worse, but once we were walking away sweaty and refreshed, I felt like an ass for not going and getting it overwith sooner. I rode the stationery bikes, which was really me hiding in the front row so that I couldn't see anybody looking at me. If I can't see you, you can't see me, kind of thing. Usually I'm pretty confident, but ladies I know any of you that are even slightly self concious can relate when I say that the gym (especially a Military gym, gah) is totally different territory. Until you get used to it at least. So now I'm used to it, and I've made it part of my daily routine. I've even bought the super fancy green combination lock to prove it (22, 32, 06... don't let me forget that). And, for the past 2 days, played hours of racquet ball. By our own rules though. Have you ever played racquet ball by the actual rules? Booooring. Our rules? Hit the ball and you're a winner! I'm so hardcore set on losing weight, that I challenged myself to 20 minutes on the rowing machine and ended up splitting my palms open and bleeding, which I didn't realize had happened until I got home. Yes, I'm a badass, its true. Anyways, since I've started working out, I've gained confidence, sore muscles (thats good, right?), and finally, some time away from the kids. Once I stabilize my metabolism (gotta love those food allergies!) and actually start losing weight, I'll probably do bi-weekly updates on my progress. Until then, just picture me jumping around in a big soundproof white room, wearing super sexy safely goggles, missing the bouncy ball and sucking at serving. I was obviously the chubby akward girl with no sports skills, in the back of gym during any PE activities. Hurray for fitness!

-"WILL original watercolor painting man with glasses quirky expression by minneapolis artist Jennifer Sandquist", by Jsandquist, $40.00.

7 comments:

BeckyKay February 25, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

Good for you! There is no way in hell you would find me at a gym with all those military folks. I'd be terrified! And they'd probably kick me out!

I'm so proud of you!

NONtRENDY February 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

I've heard too many racquet ball incidents that scare me not to play racquet ball ever.
And Good for you getting to the gym! YAY!

Megan February 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

That's awesome!

And I totally know what you mean being intimidated by the military gym. I've made the mistake of going there during PT a few times and almost walked back out. :P

Ms. Jessie February 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

You are freaking awesome!! I would love to work out with you if We were closer together.

Parallax February 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

Good for you! I so need to get moving more, but I hate gyms too.

Anonymous,  February 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

YAY! Im proud of ya girl! I know what ya mean, being a 285 lb girl myself.. its hard to get to the gym and work out with all those disgustingly thin fit people, thats why I dont do it. Thats why I dont get a trainer, if you have never been fat, if you have always been thin, who are you to tell me how to lose the fat? So last week I joined weight watchers online, and I love it. Im proud of you tia!

Post a Comment