Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Oh my blender!

Friday, March 6, 2009

If you haven't caught onto my 9,382 food allergies/intolerance's by now, you've probably been living in a cave. At this point, my dietary restrictions make up 75% of who I am. Its been a just-over-2-year struggle, figuring out what I can and cannot eat. What makes my body so sick? I lack an actual diagnosis, but I've managed to weed out the bad enough to make a "safe list" suitable for my apple print dinner plate. My intolerance's are gaining on me, and my safe list is getting smaller and smaller by the second. Every time something new pops up, we ask ourselves "what could possibly be next"? If you think you spend a lot on food, you should see my balance at the checkout counter. Its nothing to brag about. It sends the dollar sign section of my brain into a temporary panic room state of mind. Temporary, permanent, a mixture of both actually. So the husband and I decided to take the plunge into the life of blender luxury, and we bought a Vita Mix.

I can't even describe my blender bliss to you. How do you type out stuttering? calsklskrnc. Something like that? Recently added to my bogus list, is fructose. Meaning, no sugar, of any kind, at all. Not honey. Not agave. None of it. I'm testing the stevia waters, and so far so good, but I'm still learning. I miss fruit. I loved fruit. Maybe its not a forever farewell. Maybe I just need to heal a little, and then fruit will revisit the safe list. So if you cut out gluten/oats/amaranth/soy/dairy/eggs/fructose/sugar/corn/potato/onions/carrots/sweet potatoes/celery/preservatives/avocados... whats left?

...a lot of homemade peanut butter. I know, I KNOW(!), I said I was dumping peanut butter. I know I said I was walking away and never looking back. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Last night we made our own homemade peanut butter. Nothing but peanuts, salt, and stevia. Oh. My. God. You must not hate me after all, because you didn't wave your magic allergy wand and shoot anti-peanut zaps at me.

With our new blender we can grind our own rice and bean flours. Make our own nut butters. Make ice cream (which I haven't had in over a year) in only 30 seconds? Seriously. Its brought excitement back into our kitchen. And I really really needed that.

Tonight? Vita-ganush and Mixalafel. I think I just invented a language. I now speak Vita Mix.

6 comments:

Home Deconomics March 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Haha, good for you! Hopefully there are many yummy, worry free meals to come out of your new toy.
I don't know how you do it. Kudos to you for always being cheerful and funny with your ailment. It would send most folks straight to the pity pot!

Needs Coffee To Live March 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

My mother has VERY similar issues with food...it makes it SO hard for her. It's amazing that you keep such a posative outlook! Good for you! :-)

Benny and the Jet March 7, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

Awww hon! *hugs* in sympathy for the intolerance issues.. I'm lactose with undefined reactions to most meals.. I'm also a chef for a fantastic restaurant that's known for it's commitment to local/organic/free range with a mostly vegetarian/vegan menu. Makes it easier to eat at work!

I was sucked in to this post right away because I have that "mix until blended" print on my wall, right in front of me! Along with her knives one & the cherries measuring spoons one.. gorgeous.. :D

*high five* to the new blender purchase & I look forward to hearing about all the new recipes..

goodkarma March 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

you did it! you got one! welcome to the darkside, yo.
:)
i really hope it will help make dealing with your food issues easier though.

Tia Colleen March 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

I think I have to crack jokes about EVERYTHING in my life, otherwise I'll go crazy.

Unknown March 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

*sigh*

i've long wanted a vita mix.

just the other day i was contemplating using my 50 cents garage sale blender to whip up my own peanut butter. once i'm off my beak from it, i'll definitely give it a go.

Post a Comment