Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Making magical bunny food.

Saturday, April 11, 2009




I actually got this idea from jessicajanehandmade. I missed the boat on doing it at Christmas time, (some of you might remember my being the size of a small house and ready to burst with baby) so I figured maybe I could make it work for another holiday? How about Easter! Yes.


I took a quick trip to my favorite craft store, where all of the Easter stuff was half off (bonus!) and picked up some Easter-craft supplies. A blank oval cardboard box, sprinkles, stickers, toasted coconut (I would have bought this somewhere else, but I knew I wouldn't be going to any other stores between then and Easter), and then some little doodads to play with on Easter day.


The next night, Eleanore helped me paint the box blue. We got paint everywhere of course. On the floors, on our skin, on the cat. OK not really on the cat, but I thought about it. The next day she covered the blue box in stickers (with mine and my friend Jessica's help). After that, I covered the stickered box in a layer of matte decoupage real quick before the baby started crying to be held, and left it by the sink to dry. It turned out to be the perfect box for holding magic bunny food.


The next day I set up multiple cupcake papers filled with different colored sprinkles, poured a heap of coconut into the box, and let her have at it. She loved it! Of course an hour later the floor was covered in sprinkles, Eleanore's face looked like it had been tye dyed, and craft time turned into an endless cycle of time out. Temper tantrums and sugar high's aside (shes 2, I expected it), it was one of the funnest crafts we've ever done.


This evening we went outside in the rain, before the big storm moved in, and sprinkled the magic bunny food all over the front yard. Eleanore loved throwing it up into the air and watching the wind blow it around her. And who am I kidding, I loved it too.

7 comments:

MariaSoleil April 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

that sounds like a crazy fun time...Ok, off to morph into an Easter bunny...

Megan April 12, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

So sweet! I'm going to have to remember this (and the reindeer food) for when we have kids. :D

OliveStreetStudio April 12, 2009 at 6:16 AM  

What a great idea!! I have to remember that for next year...Happy Easter!

Oh Mandie April 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

sounds like you guys had a blast!!

oh and fyi, I'm totally stealing this idea for any all major and not so major holidays coming up!

Home Deconomics April 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Next scene: my dog explodes out of the dog door to snarf up all the bunny food for herself, licking sprinkles off her nose.

Parallax April 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

That sounds like such a fun craft-project.

Happy Easter

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife April 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

I have totally got to do this next year!

Post a Comment