Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Oh Mister Sun, Sun, Mister Golden Sun.

Friday, June 5, 2009


This has turned into kind of a mom blog, hasn't it? It won't be that way forever, I promise (I may or may not be crossing my fingers behind my back). But for now, my life kind of revolves around diapers and tantrums, ya know? Now that its summer, the sun has declared war with my family. The position of our house doesn't aid us at all in the battle. There is no shade in the front yard at all. I hate keeping Eleanore locked up like a wild beast all day, so I took note of the cool air that lingers until around 9am, and used it to my advantage. You want us sun? Fine, come and get us. Yesterday morning I had both kids dressed, drenched in sun block (a temporary fix for the UV rays, but nothing when it comes time for combat), and out the door and on our way to the park before the sun could even see us. The walk to the park is nice. Its just around the corner, but with a 2 year old in tow, takes us quite a while. I thought I heard a rattle, so we maybe ran part of the way, but other than that it was very relaxing. It didn't take long for the sun to catch up with us, he must have smelt the Coppertone, so the adventure soon came to an end. But not before the swings went into full motion and butts dove into puddle holding slides. I'll leave out the details of the 9 hour water filled sippy standoff, and the massive first solid food poops had by my 5 month old. Trust me, yesterday was a day for the Herman history books. I'm planning a rematch with the Sun tomorrow morning.

5 comments:

Maggie June 5, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

Would Charlie wear a big floppy hat? My little redhead (ha he is 6'2" now!) never left the house without a big old hat for probably the first 2 years of his life. You are right, sunblock is a truly temporary fix. He gets his revenge now that he is a teen by only wearing baseball caps backwards, which seems to serve only to drive his dad insane.

UniqueNurseGranny June 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Great pictures of the Little ones.I remember those days.Have a good battlr with the sun tomorrow.you seem to be ducj a good Mom..

The Bookish Life June 6, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

adorable pictures as always. man, you have cute kids. :)

Tia Colleen June 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Maggie- Ya know what, I think we DO have a hat somewhere for Charlie. Hes got so much hair though, I'm always worried a hat will overheat him. I should try that though. I'm making a mental not to dig out the hat sent to us by my sister in law. Thanks for the tip!

UniqueNurseGranny- Thank you. Our battle with the sun was rough, but I think we were victorious :)

Space Oddities- Thanks so much. Of course I think my kids are cute, but it always means so much to hear it from somebody else.

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life June 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

I have the same battle going here in Southeast GA. The front of our house gets full sun, all day. Combined with the heat and humidity, we rarely go outside most of the year. We ended up putting up a fence in our side yard, in between two huge old Oak trees. It's shady, but still hot...and the bugs...yuck.

Post a Comment