Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Rebecca Lane.

Friday, June 19, 2009


This week has skipped past me. Or maybe I've skipped past the week? Either way, somehow its Friday already. I spent yesterday afternoon with my daughter, running around town doing super fun things like ordering bras and buying soy sour cream for our Father's Day baked potatoes. At one point during our errand madness, we played "you can't catch me" in the middle of a cluster of clothing racks. I thought for sure Eleanore's mini Sasquatch feet (she takes after her Dad) were going to land her in a face plant opposite some grey suit slacks, but luckily the balance gods were on my side, and we made it out without any bumps or bruises. On the way home, Eleanore kept her complaining down to a minimum, thanks to the gluten free Oreo cookie I stapled to her hand (and maybe because it was 100 degrees out and she was exhausted), so I had some quiet time to reflect over the past couple of days.

My favorite stretch of road in town is on Rebecca Lane. Its the road that separates our tucked away living-on-a-military-base lives, from actual civilization. Its never busy, there are lots of cows, and when driving on it I typically forget that I'm in Texas. I drifted off into that place in my brain where kittens live on baby blue fluffy clouds and scoops of ice cream grow on Red Vine licorice trees. I've been off track this past week. Getting things done, but somehow missing a beat in my routine and not being able to pull myself back into the rhythm. I've been doing my daily workouts, getting all the way through day 10 of the 30 Day Shred, and throwing in some additional yoga to really sabotage myself. By the end of my session yesterday, I literally fell asleep on my mat. Yes. Completely, passed out when I should have been doing bicycle crunches. When I opened my eyes, the DVD was over, and I was left with a feeling of "what the hell just happened?". Pushing myself too hard? Well whatever the case may be, driving down Rebecca Lane calmed my nerves in the same mysterious way it always does.

Fathers Day weekend is coming up, and I've got something delicious hiding up my gluten free tattooed sleeve...

5 comments:

Amy June 19, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Tia, I love your posts. I read all your past Shred posts to my hubby last night, laughing the whole time.

Don't oreos also have dairy? My son and I are gluten intolerant, plus he's allergic to cow dairy, soy and onions (and a few other random things). Soy, dairy and onions are really hard to get around, so I make almost everything from scratch. Is nice in that it forces us to eat whole foods, but I'd sure love to just be able to order pizza once in awhile!

saybra June 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

Rebecca Lane is my favorite road in town too! We should see eachother more...just sayin'.

jessicajane June 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

i rememember that road :) and i remember the long drive to your house from San Angelo was really nice and relaxing too...even though there wasn't anything but cows and the worlds largest wind farm.

Kimberly D. June 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

Haaha. I live in Abilene. Rebecca Lane is about as pretty as Abilene gets. Texas isn't all ugly though. The Texas hill country is beautiful. I used to live there and hopefully will again soon...

Carrie January 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM  

rebecca lane is my favorite, too. i get lost looking at the clouds. it somewhat of a hazard when i am driving.

Post a Comment