Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Eleanore Goes to the Library

Sunday, July 26, 2009


Yesterday we took Eleanore and Charlie to the base library for the first time. I shouldn't say the "first time", since we had taken Eleanore a few years ago while she was still in car seat/diaper mode, but I feel like I can't really count that, since we didn't actually read any books to her. We just set her carseat down on the floor behind us while we used the computers to buy airline tickets home for a Christmas vacation. So, yesterday we took the kids to the base library for the first time.

I remember getting my very first library card. I remember the magic that it held. I remember how every story, every picture, every adventure in the entire place, could be mine, aaaalllll mine. With the single handed motion of handing the librarian my thin laminated green colored card, I could bring 7 new hardbound, or floppy back books home with me, lock myself in my bedroom, and scan the pages until my eyes couldn't blink anymore.

I was sad to hear that children at the base library don't need library cards. They use Mommy or Daddy's account. BOOOOO, I say. The volunteers at the desk looked taken back when I asked if they had supplies to make one by hand. I think I had to repeat myself multiples times, before just grabbing a business card, flipping it over, and writing "LIBRARY" and "ELEANORE SUE" in breaking black ink on the back.

Isn't a library card one of the stepping stones of childhood? Really though.

I had plans to come home and make her a better one. Maybe using pink construction paper and glitter, a rhinestone or two, and a soft puffy kitten sticker? But while we were in line at the commissary, Daddy reached into his wallet and pulled out a trick of his own. He had other plans. His old library card from a TDY assignment to South Dakota. How could I compete with a picture of an airplane? Anything that flies up in the sky, and anything that Daddy works on, beats a little bit of sparkly glitter, I hate to say it. I had a brief moment of sadness, but quickly recovered after seeing the excitement on her face.

She was excited about having a library card. It didn't matter who had given it to her, or whre it came from, it just mattered that she loved it. The reaction that I knew she needed to have in order to fill in that blank space that soon would close up on its own, but would be better off having never existed .

6 comments:

Unknown July 26, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Aw... it seriously is a rite of passage into childhood, I think. I LOVE the library! I don't know about the base one (obviously) but the one downtown is great. We make a whole day of it, taking the bus, then going to the bakery afterward and loading up on cupcakes, then hitting the children's museum before we head back home. The girls LOVE it... and of course I do, too.

Hybrid Hopes July 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

I love the new stuff, new blog stuff. wooo!

LeaKarts July 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

I LOVE it! First library card is the best thing ever. I also love all the changes you've made to your blog--lookin' good!

Tia Colleen July 27, 2009 at 6:19 AM  

ElegantSnobbery- I rarely leave the base. I've kind of turned into a base hermit. I'm so cozy here, everything is 5 minutes away, nobody goes over 30mph... *sigh*. I haven't been to the library off base. I kind of want to go, but then again, the one on base is so much more conveinent, hehe.

Hybrid Hopes- Thank you! I really like it too :)

Leakarts- Right?! I thought it was so important, and couldn't believe they didn't at least have a mock library cards for kids. And thanks!!

Alyssa S. July 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

Wow, that bites that the base library doesn't give cards. Honestly, my hubby got out of the Air Force 10 years ago and I don't ever even remember if there was a base library anywhere that we were stationed...and growing up when my dad was in the Navy, we did just have to flash our military ID's (I forget how old I was when I got it..10 or 12 maybe?) to check out books. YAY for dad coming to the rescue and giving her a cool card of her own.

When we lived in Boston, we had cool, fancy library cards that we could use to even reserve books or movies from other libraries and have transferred to our beautiful local library.

Sweet Olive Press | Helen July 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

I miss living on base. I love our new house but I miss the convenience and the community. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave!

Library cards are cool... I loved the old-school kind.

Post a Comment