Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

3rd Snow of the Season

Monday, February 15, 2010

So, I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It snows way more here in Texas, than it ever did back home in Washington State. Something I never expected.

Last Thursday, in came the cold weather, and down from the sky fell the snowflakes.

My original plan was, to stay bundled up on the couch in my green comfy yard slippers, while wearing an over sized hoodie that belongs to my husband, all day. I'd watch the babies play from my thrown, and that would be that. But then the more I got to thinking, the guiltier I felt. When I was a kid, I loved snow.

Dangit.

"Alright kids, lets go play", I said. Eleanore jumped up and down and yelled "YAY, YAY, we are going to play, play! I need mittens, Mommy! Can Donkey come? Can Baby Skywishes come? ...", and on and on she went, about each and every item she'd need to stay warm (scarf, socks, pants, shirt, coat, mittens mittens mittens), and every imaginary friend that she wanted to come with us (Donkey from Shrek, especially. Seriously, hes her favorite).

While sister danced around making up songs about snow, Charlie has crawled over to the front door, stood himself up, and was banging with both hands on the cold surface. He wanted out, and right now Mommy!

The preparation involved with playing in the snow, as most of you might know, is exhausting. First, locate every piece of warm clothing necessary, for every person that will be attending the festivities. Its not fun. Luckily, the kids are usually so excited with the idea of getting to go outside and freeze, that they leave you alone long enough to collect everything needed.

So we got dressed. And within half an hour, we were outside, enjoying the crazy Texas weather that surprised us all too well.


Little Charlie, wearing both his pajamas, and his snow suit, didn't really get to play in the snow, as much as he got to sit and watch it. I started off by setting him down in a porch chair, knowing he probably wouldn't stay there for long, and within 2 minutes ended up picking him back up, after he tried to flop himself like a fish out of water from the chair down into the front yard snow.


A-ha! The highchair! Usually I'd just open up the garage and pull out the stroller, but today it just so happened to be in the back of the car, which was with Christopher, who was at work. So I carried Charlie with me back inside, which was just about to trigger a siren of screams, and pulled from the kitchen his highchair. "There, you get to sit and watch", I so nicely told him, as I set him down. No need for straps, he couldn't hardly move in his little red bear suit anyways.

While brother sat, sister got to go on several adventures...


She tasted snowflakes. This one tasted like a brownie. That one tasted like an ice cream cone.


She made snowballs. The snow was just firm enough to bend over and pick up a perfectly useful clump for throwing.


She played with her best friend. What snow storm is complete without someone to laugh with?


And then Daddy came home early! This day just keeps getting better and better.


Ok Charlie was pretty excited about Daddy coming home early too. Really excited.

After 2 hours of snowflakes sticking to our noses and eyelashes, it was time to put our favorite things aside, and head back inside for hot chocolate and a My Little Pony movie (Charlie's pick, clearly). This may have been the last snow of the season, which is perfectly alright with me, but I know that the kids are anxious to see the white stuff again. 3 snow storms in one winter is more than we expected, and if we don't see another until next winter, I think we've got enough memories and pictures to freeze our toes until then.

7 comments:

Unknown February 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

These photos make my heart smile.

CourtneyKeb February 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

Daddy coming home early makes it just perfect!

Giggly February 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

Yay snow!! Fabulous pics as usual. :)

Alyssa S. February 15, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

SIGH....I wanted some of that snow. We just got cold, wind and squishy rain. BOOOOOO. I'm glad you got one last hurrah with the snow.

Hybrid Hopes February 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Charlie's super cute and it's still strange (for me, since it's not an everyday occurrence) to see Chris in camo. And still trips me out when I think of snow in Texas.

iampalegreen February 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

That pic of your boys is just darling!!

Post a Comment