Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Our Valentines Day

Monday, February 22, 2010

Valentines Day was different for us this year. It was carefree. I had plans to make Christopher his favorite childhood cookie, a Jim Jam (my first attempt at making them gluten free, and only my second time making them ever), and I had told him I honestly didn't want a gift, I was still more than happy with the recent purchase of my Canon Rebel (which is no lie, I'm so in love with it). Both of our kids needed new hoodies, so I had picked some up the last time I was out shopping, and would set those aside for Valentines morning. No boxes of chocolate for them, hee hee. Besides, I had made some homemade heart shaped chocolates and peanut butter cups, with intentions of shipping them off as gifts to my sister in laws- the kids could just have one or two of those, right? Soon after making the candies though, I realized they weren't ship worthy, and I'd have to come up with a backup plan, which I did, and that, will hopefully hit the post office tomorrow- 2 weeks later than they should have.

When I woke up on Valentines Day morning, Christopher was already hard at work making pancakes in the kitchen, and topping them off with red jams- raspberry and strawberry. We've just recently found a brand of jam that is fructose free, which means there aren't any added fruit juices. This has been like a gift from God. It had been years since I was able to have any kind of jelly or jam, and it truly is the little things in life that brighten your day, ya know? We ate our delicious breakfast, and then opened presents. Great Grammy and Grandpa had sent some little gifts as well, so that really added to the event.

And even though I had told him not to get me anything...


He pulled out the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen in my life.

He had gone onto etsy, and had a necklace custom made for me. As I clasped it around my neck, I took note, that this was my very first piece of adult jewelry. My first expensive silver pendant, my first custom piece, and look... the chain isn't made up of tiny silver balls. Its gorgeous.

And by now most of you know the story behind the heart and the 2 gulls, right? If Christopher is a gull, then I'm a gull.

Oh! I forgot to mention the part of our day where I whipped up a scrumptious chocolate cheesecake, made of cashews (gluten free and vegan). Mmm. Theres still part of a piece in the fridge, but it seemed to give me heartburn (what doesn't), so its just sitting there waiting for Christopher to gobble it up.

For dinner we made Egg Foo Young. I had been craving it the night before, but hadn't had it in more than ten years. I don't even know what made me think of it?


Finally, I got to use the wok that I had gotten for Christmas! And it turned out sooooo yummy. We made a brown sauce to go over it, and cooked some rice to make up a nice bottom layer for the meal. But of course, the egg foo young gave me heartburn too, and... so it turned out being a not so comfortable night for me. Christopher on the other hand, feasted.

All in all, it was the perfect Valentines Day. Filled with lots of love, and good food.

20 comments:

Chana@ Mamma Town February 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

I'm loving that beautiful heart around your neck! How thoughtful of him!! Sounds like a great day for you guys;) My present was my new camera too(nikon), we finally got it yesterday and I'm freaking out...too many buttons! Haha!

Danielle February 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

How sweet. I am loving the necklace.

Unknown February 22, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

That necklace is gorgeous!!

Alita February 22, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

That necklace is gorgeous. I love how simple and classic it is all the while being so unique. Beautiful!

Christina February 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

That necklace is beautiful, and Christopher is a sweetheart!
Sounds like you all had a very nice valentine's day!! :)

Kyla Roma February 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

Oh my goodness! This is amazing =)

So glad you had an amazing time, how thoughtful!

Shannon February 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM  

Great necklace. He's a keeper.

Laura Craig February 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

GORGEOUS Necklace!!!! And what a perfect piece!!!! It has so much meaning!!! I know you will treasure it forever!!!!!

It sounds like you guys had a fantastic Valentines Day!!!

Giggly February 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Such a sweet sweet necklace!!

Unknown February 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

What an amazing Valentine's Day! What is the story behind the necklace? I've never heard it because I'm a semi new follower :) I'd love to hear it!

Ashley Stone February 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

love the necklace, so sweet!

I'd love to know what brand that jam is with no fructose!

Sara February 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

Awww, how sweet! I love that necklace- it's perfect!

iampalegreen February 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Awww... I love the necklace! Dinner looks delicious!

SillyLittleLady February 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

That necklace is absolutely gorgeous! And it was so sweet for him to come up with the idea and have it custom made for you! I'm sure you know this by now, but I think you found a keeper ;)

Beki - TheRustedChain February 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

That necklace is gorgeous!! How sweet.

soul_searching_mama February 22, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

Love the necklace! :) Glad you found jam you can eat and had a good Valentine's Day!

jonahbonah February 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

i love that necklace! so pretty!!!

Rachel Elizabeth February 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Sounds like an over all really nice day. Love the necklace. What a truly thoughtful gift.

Post a Comment