Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Something Green For The Bean

Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Last night Christopher and I went to bed early. I was exhausted (as I have been most evenings), and all I could think about, from the second he walked in the door, was how badly I wanted to snuggle up and bury myself in my nest of pillows and blankets and call it a night.

Before going to sleep, I pulled up my shirt to reveal my tummy, and said to Christopher "look, right there", and pointed towards the area just left of my belly button. He tore his eyes away from the tv (I know honey, Pawn Stars on History, it was rough), and surely- the bean stretched. A little poke from under my belly, an outreached arm or foot, causing an obvious ripple in my smooth skin and making his or her presence known.

A few weeks ago I got a surprise package from one of our wonderful sponsors. Miss Maggie (please take just a minute to visit her shop, if you've never done so) had knitted these beautiful booties and matching hat, wrapped them in a simple black ribbon, and attached a little note that said "something green, for the bean".

"eeeeeee!", I squealed.

Right away, I could picture in my head an itty bitty baby, wrapped in nothing but green yarn, and my loving arms.

Still, the bean doesn't have much of its own. We haven't bought a single thing for it, we haven't brought any of our gently used baby things in from the garage to set up in our bedroom where the bean will be staying- we're completley unprepared, all while having been prepared since the test read positive.

I can't wait to wrap our baby bean, whether it be a girl or a boy, in these miniature handmade slippers and newborn sized hat- expect a ridiculous amount of pictures.

Thank you, Maggie. We love them. And our bean will too.

21 comments:

Ms. Jessie April 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

I do have to say that being your sister in law I feel that anything I would send for the kids would suck compared to awesome things like this that you get. I love the color and cant wait to see Bean in it.

Tia Colleen April 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

Aw, Jessie no, we'd love anything that you made for the bean, just as much!

CourtneyKeb April 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

What a precious, sweet surprise!
When do you find out if it's a girl or boy bean, or are you?

Anonymous,  April 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I'll have to go visit Miss Maggie. Those are just presh ;) I miss my bean being in my belly... :(

elsie April 20, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

so very delicious - i LOVED those magical moving tummy moments! even if they were 22 years ago!

beka April 20, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Awww, how sweet!
I used to make hats and booties for every little baby born to friends...and I even used to sell them, too. But that was when I was like 12....I'm into different things now, although I still do knit a small hat for new babies. :)
Someday--can't wait to see a picture!

Rachel Elizabeth April 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

These are so cute. Love the color.

Megan April 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Aw, how sweet!

And Christopher? I love Pawn Stars, too. To the point where my husband is like, "Really? We have to watch this? Again?"

Mommy Elephant Sarah April 21, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

Awwwww so sweet! What a nice and thoughtful gift! Those are the best kind of gifts! :)

Alita April 21, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

Awwwww!!!!! Green is such a wonderful rich color. Bean is going to look fabulous in it.

OH, btw, LOVE your new header. So cute Tia!

Chana@ Mamma Town April 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

So adorable!! I wish we could wear booties too!

Rogue Wild April 21, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

aaawww what a sweet package! can't wait to meet the bean =o)

Chelsey - The Paper Mama April 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

What a lovely surprise! And a cute little note! I'm looking forward to the cute little photos!
-chelsey

Brandy L April 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

WOW! What a great gift for the little bean! :D Home made knitted stuff for babies is awesome, i've been doing some myself. :D

emily April 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

Aww, can't wait to "meet" this little bean!

Maggie April 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

Thanks for your kind words about my beginner knitting attempts!

Hobocamp Crafts April 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

adorable. I wish I could knit or crochet well enough to make something other than a scarf! xo

rite April 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

adorable!!! havent left you a comment in a while but thought id stop in and say hi!!!!

Johanna April 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

what a beautiful shade of green.
wishing you and that cute belly of yours lots of happiness (and rest for you mama)

Sarah April 24, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

so so so ... we are waiting for the arrival to know the sex? i might just go nuts, tia!!!!

Post a Comment