Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Quite the Ruckus

Monday, June 21, 2010


Have I mentioned, at all yet, how my husband recently bought a motorcycle?

Wait. No. Shame shame, Tia- better clarify that...

*Ahem*

Have I mentioned, at all yet, how my husband recently bought a motor-scooter?

Because oh boy. Here we go.



Not so long ago, Christopher had mentioned to me that a friend of his was selling his bike. Of course, I brushed it off like he had never brought it up at all, in one ear and out then right out the other. The last thing my has-no-balance Sasquatch needed, was a motorcycle.

Weeeeelllll- the more I thought about it, the more I decided it might be ok. I didn't tell him any of this though, God no, I just let it all stew around in my head, until I had made my decision. And then one day, when he least expected it, I pulled him into the kitchen when he came home from his lunch break, and I simply said "you can get the bike".

That of course caught him completely off guard, and I think at that point he was ignoring me, not having understood what I was telling him. He never in a million years probably expected to hear those words come out of my mouth, and maybe didn't even hear them at all.

I cut him off mid sentence- something about hydraulic fluid this, or plane engine that- and I repeated myself.

"No. Honey. I'm telling you that you can get the motorcycle. I want you to get it. I think you deserve it".

Silence.

A blank stare.

Total confusion.



What was I thinking, you wonder? Well, a lot, actually. I was thinking about how Christopher is about to be promoted (on June 30th!), and what all went into that. I was thinking about how he graduated at the very top of his class when he attended Airman Leadership School, I was thinking about how much hes matured over the last couple of years, and mostly, I was thinking about how badly I wanted my van back. I know, maybe a little selfish, but- rightfully so.

And really, how badly can he hurt himself on something that doesn't go above 43 miles per hour?


So there we stood in the kitchen. Both leaning against the counter, my husband starting to get so excited that he maybe almost left the house without even eating his lunch, making big plans to add a second mode of transportation into our lives.

Fast forward about 3 months, a meeting with some commander guy (the very day after Chris sliced his head open on an airplane and had to go to the ER for staples), a motorcycle safety class (take a wild guess as to who was the only one in the class to crash a bike? Come on, guess!), a motorcycle license, the actual purchasing process later, and...



Look whos livin' on the edge.

Now I can't say that there weren't any bumps in the road, because there was a lot of back and forth on his part ("I want the bike, I don't want the bike. We could spend the money on this instead, or maybe that- or I could just get a bicycle, and ride it everyday in the 100 degree weather, with all my gear on"), and I may or may not have locked him out of the house at one point, with the very demanding instructions of "go get your bike, or divorce me". You might think I'm exaggerating when I say that, but- ask my neighbors all about the show we put on for them in the driveway. It was a good one.

Needless to say, I'm glad all is said and done. The bike is ours.
And I have my van back.



Aaaannd it doesn't exactly hurt, that he looks totally cute on the dang thing, right?

16 comments:

Colleen June 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

I swear my sister could have written this post. She and her husband (who is also a Christopher) had many a marital "discussion" about his desire for a motorcycle and her fear of his crashing until one day she just up and said yes. He's a happy man and she has her car back. :)

Love the photos. I don't know if this is why you did b&w, but the orange vest and the uniform kind of clash in color. :)

Kitty June 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

hahahha, he does look nice on it! and he looks like he's happy.


and and, yaaaaaaaayyyyyy for having your van back! :D

Alyssa S. June 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

How cute...and funny. Every now and then Dom will ask me "can I have a motorcycle?" to which I promptly answer "NO!" He's actually a great driver with scary fast reflexes...but I don't trust other people on the road. He doesn't really want one (pretty certain anyway) but he likes to test me. Like when he asks if he can be a firefighter or join the police. I think he wants a sense of how expendable I think he is :) I think they day I say "yeah go ahead" he'd think I was trying to do him in!

Mommy Elephant Sarah June 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

He looks so happy on his bike!
David wants one too, but I haven't given him the okay. He sends me photos of bikes he wants, and let me tell you, they aren't moto-bikes. I could just see him hauling ass down the busy freeway, someone not seeing him in their blind spot, and clipping him. Drivers are crazy out here!!

Mrs. Mommy June 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

What a good wife you are! :0) I told the hubby no way, no how, not ever...and the day we actually have the money for one we'll probably put on our own show for the neighbors. I tell him it's not HIM I'm worried about...it's all the other morons out there that will run him over.

I can't let him see this blog! Otherwise I'll have to hear "THAT guy is in the Air Force and has a bike...why can't I have a bike?!" They're just like big kids!

CourtneyKeb June 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

I think parents just have a tremendous amount of guilt when spending a lot of money.
Well... I know I do, and I know if I make Philip feel guilty enough, he does.
When you have a family, it's hard to do something for yourself every once and a while.

He does look hardcore cute on that bike though.
I had to throw in hardcore before cute to make it more man-on-motorcycle cute than lovey teddy bear cute.

Haha.

Unknown June 22, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

Hehehe... I love how you said he was staring at you in confusion... and then the next picture, there he is with a big ol' smile. :)

Left you something on my page...

http://thelittleblondegirl.blogspot.com/2010/06/sharing-blog-love.html

LeAnna June 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

That is just tooooo funny! My Dad sells those bikes, and they're quite popular. My Hubby has been hinting around that he wants a bike, and an airplane...oh, and a porsche while he's at it. I told him that when we pay off the house he can have one from the above list, haha! Great pics!

Christina June 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

It is nice that he did something for himself and that you decided it was a good idea for him(and to get your van back hehehe). My situation isn't exactly the same but my husband has recently been able to do some things for himself in the form of playing the sport Cricket. He played it growing up in India. A month or so ago he and some co-workers who are also Indian started playing it on the weekends at night and he has a blast. Most Americans don't know anything about Cricket so finding people to play it with is not easy! I am happy that he gets to do something here that reminds him of his own country.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama June 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM  

Yes, very cute! Mike wants one. I say no. He says yes. No. Yes. Blah, blah, blah.

April June 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

Ummm, yeah... So, Eric had a motorcycle (like a "crotch rocket") for all of about 4 months... and crashed it and was told by the nurse (that just so happened to see the wreck from the other side of the street) that he was lucky to be alive. The bike's tag started with 666...

Ms. Jessie June 23, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

So Stephen recently aquired a street legal dirty bike project. ugh!! He has a nice jacket and a helmet so far to protect his dumbass. Another toy for Stephen. Anyways nice scooter Chris!!! Tia he used to ride a skateboard all the time when he was little. I dont know how good he was but he was way better than me. I couldnt even stand on one without falling. Ohyeah and I got a long board to try and learn this summer. Got it for FREE!!!

Memoirs of a Mental Mind June 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

Lmao!! You two are toooo cute!! :)

beka June 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

Oh my WORD, I love your "take a wild guess" paragraph. Like really.
Gosh, I feel sorry for him--wearing all the gear and in 100 weather! Holy crap!
Bahahahah, he looks cute on 'the dang thing'.
I'm tired. And laughing:)

Leslie June 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

i was introduced to your blog by my sister...as is proper...and when i read this post i laughed the whole time. i swear i thought the same things and said and did all the same things when i finally broke down last year and let my husband get a motorcycle. he was so shocked, but thrilled. i love your blog!!!

Post a Comment